Aging in place remodeling makes life a lot easier for senior citizens. Home modifications for seniors have always been very popular. Making modifications to the home is crucial for seniors who want to continue living in their own homes as they age. These modifications can significantly enhance the safety and comfort of the home, minimize the possibility of accidents and falls, and enable seniors to maintain their independence and self-respect. By seeking assistance from knowledgeable experts, seniors can age in place with assurance and tranquility, confident that their home is secure and comfortable. Hiring the right professional company can make a big difference. Hearth and Home Handyman is the right company for the job. We are going to share a checklist with you containing the most common and helpful modifications.
Aging in Place Bathroom Modifications
Aging in place bathroom modifications are changes made to a bathroom to make it more accessible and safe for seniors or individuals with disabilities. Here are some ideas for bathroom modifications to help with aging in place:
- Grab Bars: Grab bars are a crucial component of any aging in place bathroom. First, they can be installed in the shower/tub area, next to the toilet, and near the sink. Also, they provide support and stability when getting in and out of the shower or tub. Also, they help when sitting down or standing up from the toilet and even moving around the bathroom.
- Walk-in Shower/Tub: A walk-in shower eliminates the need to step over the edge of the tub or shower. This can be a difficult task for seniors with mobility issues. Also, a handheld showerhead can make showering easier. Finally, a built in seat can make the task much less tiring and more convenient. That can also decrease risk of falls.
- Raised Toilet Seat: A raised toilet seat can make it easier for seniors with mobility issues to sit down and stand up from the toilet.
- Non-slip Flooring: Non-slip flooring can prevent slips and falls in the bathroom, which can be particularly dangerous for seniors. Consider installing non-slip mats or tiles in the shower/tub area and around the sink.
- Lever Handles: Lever handles on faucets and doors can be easier to grip and turn than traditional knobs. This can be particularly helpful for seniors with arthritis or other hand mobility issues.
- Increase Lighting: Adequate lighting is important in any bathroom, but it’s especially important for seniors with visual impairments. Consider installing brighter lighting or motion-activated lighting.
Aging in Place Kitchen Modifications
Kitchen modifications can make it much easier to be mobile around the kitchen. Also, it can seriously increase safety in the kitchen. Here are some aging in place kitchen remodeling ideas:
- Lower countertop and sink height: Lowering the height of the countertops and sink can make it easier for seniors to prepare food and clean up. A height of 32 to 34 inches is recommended.
- Pull-Out Shelves: Pull-out shelves can make it easier to access items in lower cabinets without having to bend down and reach in.
- Lever Handles: Lever handles on faucets and cabinet doors can be easier to grip and turn than traditional knobs. This can be particularly helpful for seniors with arthritis or other hand mobility issues.
- Non-slip Flooring: Non-slip flooring can prevent slips and falls in the kitchen, which can be particularly dangerous for seniors. Consider installing non-slip mats or tiles in areas prone to spills.
- Install a Wall Oven: A wall oven can eliminate the need to bend down to access the oven. Bending over often can be difficult for seniors with mobility issues.
Ramp installation is a critical modification for aging in place homes. First, it allows seniors with mobility issues to access their homes more easily and safely. Ramps can be installed in place of stairs leading up to the front door. Also, they can be installed at the back or side entrances for easy access to outdoor spaces. Remember, the ramp can be designed to meet the specific needs of the individual. This includes the height of the porch or entrance and the slope of the ramp. Additionally, professional installation ensures that the ramp is sturdy, secure, and meets safety standards. This modification allows seniors to maintain their independence and mobility. This is because they will be able to enter and exit their homes without assistance. Finally, this modification also ensures that their homes are more accessible for visitors and caregivers.
Additional Aging in Place Modification Ideas
Above we explained some of the more common aging in place remodeling projects. There are many other kinds of home modification services we provide. Wheelchair access is an important consideration for aging in place homes. Firstly, it allows seniors with mobility issues to move around their homes with ease. Also, it gives wheelchair users more independence. In addition, Wheelchair accessibility modifications can include widening doorways to accommodate a wheelchair, installing ramps, and creating open spaces. All of these things allow for easier maneuvering. Other modifications may include lowering light switches and thermostats. Also, you may want to thing about raising electrical outlets to avoid bending. It is important to consult with a professional to ensure that any modifications meet safety standards and building codes.
Aging in place remodeling is an essential aspect of enabling seniors to live safely and comfortably in their own homes as they age. There are a variety of home modifications that can be made to ensure seniors can maintain their independence and dignity. It’s best to consult with professionals to make the necessary changes. This will allow seniors to continue to enjoy the familiarity and comfort of their homes. All while not sacrificing their safety and mobility. It is important to keep in mind that each person’s needs are unique. Home modifications should be tailored to meet those individual needs. Contact us today and we’ll get you started. Don’t forget our sister company, Kendall Design + Build for your next big or small remodel project.